CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 12, 2009

We Can Put a Man on the Moon but...

Does anyone besides me remember the Seinfeld episode where Jerry is complaining that we put a man on the moon? Well if you don't, here is the opening monologue…

We never should have landed a man on the moon. It's a mistake. Now everything is compared to that one accomplishment. I can't believe they could land a man on the moon . . . and taste my coffee! I think we all would have been a lot happier if they hadn't landed a man on the moon. Then we'd go, they can't make a prescription bottle top that's easy to open? I'm not surprised they couldn't land a man on the moon. Things make perfect sense to me now."

That is kind of what it is like living in San Jose. Whenever someone has trouble with their cell-phone or computer you hear people say, "how can you live in San Jose and not know how to do such-and-such." We invented the super-computer and you don't know how to add someone to your contact list? What's the matter with you?

I found myself thinking this about Skyler's school district. They still use the mass-calling phone system that we had back in the 80's at Ukiah High. It's very sad and very annoying. While I don't mind a quick phone call to notify me that "your son/daughter was absent/tardy from 1/more periods today" they use this system for EVERYTHING. I am getting 2-3 calls per week. And these calls aren't short. Some have gone on for over 5 minutes (on my cell phone bill, thank you very much). They have even let the mayor and chief of police get in on the act. The problem is, if you are out and about, how are you supposed to remember dates, times, yadda yadda yadda. (do you like the full circle Seinfeld reference there?)

I even understand being green and not wanting to print thousands of hand-outs that never make it past the first trash bin at the school. But…how can we live in San Jose and they have never heard of email??!! There I said it. I'm guilty. But I think I'm justified. A mass email has to be cheaper, quicker, and easier than a mass-phone system. Plus, I would have the information saved in a nice readable form that I could actually reference again. Whereas with the phone call, the information has dissipated into the ether as soon as the words are spoken.

Sadly, I know what probably happened. Some yahoo at the school district got cornered by the phone salesman who convinced him to pay a fortune for the system. And now, not wanting to admit they made a mistake, they use it incessantly trying to convince themselves how valuable it is - while the rest of us suffer.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

We have the same phone system here too. The wording is even identical "your child missed one or more periods yesterday". It drives me crazy too!

Stephanie said...

You know, Brian Regan has a comedy skit that is oh-so-similar to the Seinfield one you posted. "They can put a man on the moon, but they can't make a phone cord that won't tangle up!" How sad... I thought his was original.