I went to McDonalds the other day and lo and behold they had the Shamrock Shakes for Saint Patrick’s Day. I’m so happy. These shakes are awesome and have a great deal of history for me.
First of all, I remember Dad taking us to get these when we lived in Chicago. We would all pile into the car and head off to the McD’s for those wonderful, green, minty concoctions. It really is a wonderful childhood memory.
Also, it reminds me of my junior and senior years at Ukiah High. My friends and I would take great liberties with our Student Leadership Off-Campus Passes and make a run for the Shamrock Shakes in the middle of school. It’s always nice when you can find people that share your tastes. Plus, it doesn’t hurt when one of those people was a person that you were hoping to find any reason to spend extra time with. (But that is a story for another day.)
Shortly after Wendy and I were married, I wanted to take my kids to get a Shamrock Shake for Saint Patrick’s Day to continue the tradition. So off we went to the local McDonalds. I went up to the counter and asked for 5 Shamrock shakes. The 16-year-old-pimple faced idiot at the counter just stared at me. Finally he said, “Ummm. Dude. What’s a Shamrock Shake?” Sadly this was a precursor of things to come. We went from store to store getting similar responses at each one and finally gave up.
First of all, I remember Dad taking us to get these when we lived in Chicago. We would all pile into the car and head off to the McD’s for those wonderful, green, minty concoctions. It really is a wonderful childhood memory.
Also, it reminds me of my junior and senior years at Ukiah High. My friends and I would take great liberties with our Student Leadership Off-Campus Passes and make a run for the Shamrock Shakes in the middle of school. It’s always nice when you can find people that share your tastes. Plus, it doesn’t hurt when one of those people was a person that you were hoping to find any reason to spend extra time with. (But that is a story for another day.)
Shortly after Wendy and I were married, I wanted to take my kids to get a Shamrock Shake for Saint Patrick’s Day to continue the tradition. So off we went to the local McDonalds. I went up to the counter and asked for 5 Shamrock shakes. The 16-year-old-pimple faced idiot at the counter just stared at me. Finally he said, “Ummm. Dude. What’s a Shamrock Shake?” Sadly this was a precursor of things to come. We went from store to store getting similar responses at each one and finally gave up.
I have since learned that this is an optional seasonal offering. Franchises are not required to carry them. (Apparently, there are five misguided owners in New York who refuse to carry them because they consider them racist.) There is even a website devoted to letting people know where to find them. It's kind of like with the occassional McRib sandwich that McDonald's offers that The Simpsons' mocked in the "Ribwich" episode. This now makes sense why we have always known of them. Chicago and Saint Patrick's Day is kind of like Mormons and Green Jello. You don't get one without the other.
In any case, I’m happy they have them in San Jose. Well it’s almost noon and time to eat. Hey I have an idea…
In any case, I’m happy they have them in San Jose. Well it’s almost noon and time to eat. Hey I have an idea…

7 comments:
I haven't had a shamrock shake in forever. How good they are. I wonder if I can get one here? I remember when we were kids they would dump green dye into the Chicago River for St. Patty's Day (as if it wasn't green enough) to celebrate. Ah those crazy Irish:-)
Jim got one the other day, and let's just say that they're using extra-strong food coloring these days.
After your blog, I decided Wes and I needed a shamrock shake. Ukiah, however, does not sell them.
We'll just have to make our own.
Shamrock Shake
Ingredients:
2 cups vanilla ice cream
1 1/4 cups 2% low-fat milk
1/4 teaspoon mint extract
8 drops green food coloring
Directions:
1) Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed until smooth.
2) Stop blender to stir with a spoon if necessary to help blend ice cream.
3) Pour into 12-ounce cups and serve each with a straw.
4) Happy St Patrick's Day!
Cheryl, I don't think it has changed. I wasn't really going to go there, but let's just say that is also one of the memories...
Okay, you were barely 6 when we left Chicago. So if you remember back that far, that's pretty good. Personally, I don't recall encountering the Shamrock shake until we arrived in Ukiah. I recall when mom and I first arrived in Ukiah before the rest of the family showed up that some Masonite guy took us to McD and I had my first Shamrock shake then. BTW, I have seen them here in Utah. I just don't recall what store.
Reagan said... I had a shamrock shake once it was good.
Post a Comment