Hello everyone! This is Wendy. I hope everyone is well and happy. As most of you know, I took a huge step and had Gastric Bypass surgery on the 31st of August. Will and I talked it over and after we decided to go forward with it, things just fell into place. I went to see the doctor and 3 weeks later I was in the operating room. And no, no one is going to see my before pictures. (not that you would want to see them) Those are for me and my photographer (Will) only.
For the seven days prier to the surgery I was put on a liquid diet of protein drinks, water and things like Crystal light. Let me tell you, finding a good tasting protein drink is not easy. And today I am still on that liquid diet except now I can have creamed soups, pudding, and light yogurt. So just like that, I am off food. And going off food "cold turkey" has the been the hardest thing I have ever done. Yes I will admit it, I was a food addict. Luckily, there will be more food choices in five days. Even though I don't feel hungry the thought of something other than soup and yogurt is really sounding good about now.
Anyway, the surgery went well and Will was able to spend 9 days with us because of it. Any excuse to get him home. I will apparently stop at nothing to see him. I have had a bit of pain and have felt nauseated every day, though things are starting to ease now. But needless to say, the weight has been coming off very rapidly. That's the point right? In the last nine days I have lost 16.4 pounds. The only problem is I am having a hard time enjoying it because I don't feel all that well yet. Don't get me wrong, it is very exciting to be on a road to a new life. But it is very strange to see the scale move down about 2 pounds a day. It is like in the movie "The Santa Claus", Scott Calvin sees the polar bear directing traffic but he doesn't believe it is happening. That is how this is. I see the scale, but my brain has a hard time comprehending it.
I guess that's enough about that. We are doing OK. Will is working hard and trying to find the time to find a job so he can be with the family again. The girls start soccer again on Saturday, Skyler has begun his senior year in high school, Kenzie is still living in Ogden and is also looking for a job, and Scheyler started 9th grade and is close to getting his drivers permit. Crazy life huh?
New Adventure, New Blog
12 years ago
3 comments:
I had no idea! I'm glad to hear that recovery is pretty good so far. Did you have regular gastric bypass or the band?
As to protein drinks, I had a former colleague who had this surgery, and she drank Pure Protein brand, sold at Trader Joe's, the Vitamin Shoppe, and probably at other locations. It's engrained in my head because I would be the one to actually go to the store for her to buy it in bulk and then schlep it up to her apartment. I never tasted them myself, but she seemed to like it.
I can't believe how quickly it all went through and you're already a week out of the surgery!
I hope you continue to do well and get back on your feet quickly. Good luck!
I'm glad you are starting to feel better. You know smoking pot is supposed to help nausea. If you lived in California you could get a doctor's prescription:-) I'm eager to see how this goes for you. I have considered it myself, but I have too many other medical problems to deal with first (as I type this one-handed).
Post a Comment